Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 6: Pork Harvest Tour

The weather this morning was gorgeous, we took a short walk around 8am to catch our bus over to the plant. We were mentally prepared for a 2 hour ride several towns over. At 10:30, while still on the bus, I started to get curious, so I opened a map on my phone, only to find that the trip is a full 3 hour drive - which actually took us a little longer. Unfortunately, Dr. Savell's bus (in the second group) got lost, and was about an hour or so late. Our tour started around 11:15 or 11:30 and we returned to the hotel at 6pm. I actually forgot my iPod and headphones, luckily, Dr. Harris had an extra pair - otherwise the trip would have been unbearable. There were so many different countries represented by the participants on the tour, listening to all of the conversations for a total of 6.5 hours would have given anyone a headache.



The facility we visited is the 2nd largest pork harvest facility in Europe, and is only 4 years old. They employ nearly 1500 people - including 40 veterinarians. A plaque I read said that, to date, 250-300 human jobs have been eliminated by robots and equipment. The interior feels very fresh and open, and the employees have outstanding working conditions. Hardly comparable to those of the US. We were able to see the majority of the process, and several of the "robots" from viewing windows. We never entered the floor. Unfortunately, we were unable to see the dehairing, head removal, and evisceration machines in action. We moved on to see parts of the "deboning" rooms. Turns out, this facility does clean casings, but does not produce any processed products. All trim produced is consumed by the Danish citizens and is processed by a sister plant. All of their spare ribs are exported to the US along with some shoulders. I took a picture of a poster that shows where they export all of their cuts.

I haven't looked extensively, but a tour and videos of the robots should be available online.

Virtual Horsens Slaughterhouse tour: http://www.danishcrown.com/custom/horsens_uk/3755.asp

The plant staff (Danish Crown) was actually kind enough to provide lunch. However, it was my 5th strange Danish buffet, "light" and no chairs of course. I have pictures of the food too. Two of the items looked like they had hairs all over them! Yuck!

I am trying to add our pictures.....but I am experiencing technical difficulties.

Dinner was really good tonight...Dr. Harris and I wandered around town, sat down at a Spanish restaurant - changed our minds and then settled on a Mexican/Italian restaurant. I know, sounds strange - but they actually had both. We decided to be bold and order chips and salsa, and beef enchiladas. It was by no means the food from home - but it has been the best thing I have eaten on the trip, hands down!

I'll try the pictures again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment