Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 7: Walking street and palace excursion:

The day started with a Beef Safety seminar at the university. To our (pleasant) surprise, we were released at 12:30 instead of 2:00 like we were expecting. We walked back to the hotel, put some things away, and Dr. Harris and I headed out! We made our way back to the walking street, with the full intent to visit two castles (slots as they are called here) but we were first distracted by a Market Day we found in the square. These are just a few pictures to try and show what we saw!


Huge cheese wheels, there must have been 100 to choose from.


Marmalade and jam brought over from Sweden, Dr. Harris and I each got 3 (their awesome). I chose 2- Cherry and 1-Blackberry & Apple jam.


This became lunch. A HUGE soft pretzel covered in melted cheese :) The one we chose actually had ham on it too, they cost $8 USD.



Dried sausages, at one of the many meat stands.



Same stand, different sausage.





The second huge cheese tent!





This is the Queen's winter residence, that is still used in the winter, guards are actively patrolling. We actually saw a guard reprimand a women for getting to close to a window.



Roses in the King's Garden near the 2nd palace we visited.

Rosenberg Palace (our second stop) complete with a mote and everything. This was originally built as the King's summer residence, but has not been inhabited since 1710. Unlike the first palace, we were able to enter this one and take a self tour with a fully detailed map. However, we entered the cellar first and were told to leave and go buy a ticket, so we did. Upon our second attempt, we enter the castle entrance and I got sent out because my purse was too big. Oh, and you had to pay extra to take pictures....So I walk back to the ticket place to rent a locker to store my purse. We tour the castle, taking tons of pictures. When we finished the castle we returned to the treasury/cellar. On my way over, I realized that I had left my ticket in my purse, in the locker. Even though this was the second time this women had seen us, and now I was wearing the sticker that served as proof for paying for photography - she sent me out - AGAIN. I walk back to the ticket place, the third time, and get my ticket out of the locker. On my way back I had to pause, for the changing of the guards - which was actually pretty interesting. This time she let me in. It reminded me of the airport incident on "Meet the Parents!"


Crowns of a past King and Queen. (Located in the treasury, guarded by the "Takes her job too serious" lady)




After leaving the castles, we past another meat market or two, so naturally, I took more pictures.



Kidneys and livers in a meat case.....YUM.



Tongues. Enough said.
These next two pictures are just proof that the "genie" pants, and the many styles of leggings/tights are actually for sale to (and purchased by) the public!!


Be warned, that green thing is not a skirt, that shorter area in the cloth is actually the crotch, and the elastic area at the top is the waist line....no joke.

These are "pleather" snake skin, and plain black tights/leggings....stylish.

Anyway, it is almost 10:00 now, and I have to get up in time to check out and leave the hotel at 6:15am our time, 11pm US time. But most importantly, I AM PACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be home soon!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment